Paint a Wood Front Door
Fred the homeowner has a wood front door that he wants to paint without removing the door.
- Allow yourself plenty of time to prepare, prime, and paint.
- Start between 8:00am and 10:00am and when the outside temperature is above 60°F.
- Clean door. Remove mildew with retardant solution if necessary and let dry thoroughly.
- Use blue long mask tape to tape hinges, door handles, and any other objects that might be in close contact with the door.
- Lay a drop cloth under the door and secure the door so it does not move white coating.
- Remove weather stripping from jam, if possible.
- Sand to achieve a smooth, deglossed substrate with 150 grit sandpaper. Remove all dust from sanding.
Best: 502001x Unique II Enamel Undercoater
Good: 702901x Synthetic Speed Prime
Best: 5320xxx Color Base
Better: 54200x Unique II Enamel
Good: 74500xx Porsalite Alykd Enamel